Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Beginning

This past Sunday night, at the Zion Fellowship Training School, the challenge was placed before us:  Go through your morning routine, a time when your mind isn't working particularly hard, with a recognition that Jesus is with you.  This should not be hard... my mind isn't working very hard in the mornings.  But it is.

The truth of the matter is that I've gotten used to doing things without Jesus.  I turn to him when I'm in crisis, or when I hurt, or when I need a bit of guidance.  But mostly, I just do what I've always done, and I let the busy-ness of my life put him to the periphery.  This is not the way it's supposed to be, and the challenge has brought to my mind the following thoughts.

If Jesus's promise is true, and he never leaves us or forsakes us, then wherever I go, and whatever I do, he is with me, and his presence is available to me for my good.

Yikes.

That means that while I'm brushing my teeth in the morning, Jesus has something to say to me.  While I'm making lunch in the morning, he's looking to see if I'm paying attention to him.  When I'm at work and a student asks a question, I can look to him for what HE would say to my student.  When my kids ask me for the 5746th time to blah blah blah, Jesus has a response for me to give to them, and it's probably not, "Leave me alone; I'm busy." 

Jesus wants to be involved in every facet of my life.  He hung on a cross not just to be my savior, but to be my lord.  I am trying on a daily basis to recognize that reality.

Today, I did okay practicing his presence; I actually am off to a good start, and he helped me work through some wrong feelings I had this morning.  But I've got a long way to go, and he'll help me with every thing I commit to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment